Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/treatend/public_html/blog/wp-includes/cache.php on line 99

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/treatend/public_html/blog/wp-includes/query.php on line 21

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/treatend/public_html/blog/wp-includes/theme.php on line 576
Endometriosis After Hysterectomy- Are Relapses Common? | Treating your Endometriosis

Endometriosis After Hysterectomy- Are Relapses Common?

Experiencing endometriosis after hysterectomy is a likely possibility, and is why treatments such as Mirena may still be needed.  This may come as a surprise to you, especially if you have been under the impression that a total hysterectomy (removal of the entire uterus, ovaries, and part or the entire cervix) can provide relief from the painful symptoms caused by endometriosis.

Although it does sound logical that the removal of the organs infected by endometriosis would put a stop to the disease, this, unfortunately, is not the reality for a number of women.  In fact it is estimated that 10-15 percent of women with endometriosis, who undergo a hysterectomy, experience an endometriosis recurrence after 1 – 3 years following the procedure, and as many as 50 percent have a recurrence after 5 years.

How can the return of endometriosis after hysterectomy be possible?  First and foremost, there is no cure for endometriosis.  Secondly, it’s a known fact that implants (endometrial tissue) can be found outside of the uterus and ovaries, and can occur throughout the pelvic cavity and beyond (I.E. bowels, bladder and rectum).  Therefore, if implants occur in areas outside the uterus, a total hysterectomy will not remove all of the disease.

That being said, there are surgeons that will attempt to remove any implants they find in other regions aside from the reproductive organs.  However, there is still a high possibility that some of the disease will be left behind, as some implants are microscopic and can go undetected.

Another problem that can cause endometriosis after hysterectomy is hormone replacement therapy.  If a woman undergoes a total hysterectomy, she has lost her ovaries, and is, therefore, in full blown menopause.  Although menopause can be beneficial in relieving endometriosis symptoms, because it stops the production of estrogen (the hormone that feeds the disease), the female body requires a certain level of estrogen in order to function properly.

In other words, while endometriosis may no longer be a problem, unpleasant menopause symptoms due to lack of estrogen (I.E. hot flashes, headaches, vaginal dryness, bone loss, etc.) will be.   Hence, women who have undergone a total hysterectomy, and do not take hormone replacement therapy, may find relief from their endometriosis but not their menopausal symptoms, or vice versa.  These women often find themselves in a no win situation.

Are there ways to treat endometriosis after hysterectomy?  Yes.  The following are some treatment methods you may want to consider -

• Control your diet – Find out what foods you should avoid that can trigger endometriosis symptoms or make them worse.
• Medical therapies – There are different remedies such as oral contraceptives, and the drugs Progestin and Danazol, which help to prevent the growth of endometrial tissue.  You may also consider taking over-the-counter medication such as NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs – I.E. aspirin, ibuprofen) to help alleviate painful symptoms.
• Alternative remedies – non-drug therapies that may be useful include acupuncture, acupressure, aromatherapy, hypnosis, messages, herbal remedies, etc.

Essentially, when it comes to treatment, the best course of action you can take is to talk to your doctor about your options to find out which ones are right for you.

Have you signed up for the free newsletter? It’s a great way of staying on top of the latest endometriosis news and treatment options. Sign up today and discover signs of endometriosis and what the different  stages of endometriosis are.

17 Responses

1. March 19th, 2007 | 8:27 pm

[...] Finally, if you have endometriosis or know someone who does, and are thinking about having a total or partial hysterectomy, it is imperative that you explore other treatment options first.  The chance of a recurrence of endometriosis after hysterectomy is high enough that it shouldn’t be ignored.  There is no reason to put your body through the stress of such extreme surgery, when there are other options available to you. Have you signed up for the free newsletter? It’s a great way of staying on top of the latest endometriosis news and treatment options. Sign up today and discover signs of endometriosis and what the different stages of endometriosis are, plus the endometriosis treatment options. [...]

2. Lisa
    May 4th, 2007 | 3:35 am

I had a partial hysterectomy six years ago and am now suffering terribly from the pain associated with endometriosisi that is conected to mt bowel. A laprioscopy confirmed the position and diathermy can give temporary relief, I was devestated last week whebn my worst thoughts were confirmed and I know the vicious cycle that I am back into.

3. Lisa A
    May 24th, 2007 | 7:16 pm

I had a partial and then full hyst, the latter a year ago, and now the pain is coming back again. I am so tired of being told that it can’t come back without reproductive organs. I’m 30 and have had 9 surgeries in 3 years and am tired of this.

4. sarah c
    July 10th, 2007 | 9:25 pm

I have had a partial hysteretomy and am still having server pain monthly that is crippling. I can not take any hormon medications and am running out of options. This is basically stopping me from living life. There has got to be a better solution then suffer though it.

5. niki
    August 31st, 2007 | 10:15 pm

hi i had a complete hysteretomy 14 months ago, aged 38. i now have the pain returning, my stomach is looking like i’m pregnant again,i’m tired etc etc. i didn’t now until today that endometriosis can reaccur again after a complete hysteretomy,i wasn’t informed of this before surgery!!!!!

6. marcie
    September 14th, 2007 | 2:24 pm

i had a full hysteretomy 8 months ago and now my pain is back and i am 23 i do not know wht to do i have been dealing with it for 8 years and now it s back they want to put me on some new meds i was wondering if anybody here has ever taking them or has heard of them the meds are amitriptyline and aygestin if you could help me that would be great thanks

7. September 21st, 2007 | 2:24 pm

Marcie

I’m really sorry to hear that your endometriosis is returning after your hysterectomy.

Here’s an overview of the meds that your doctors are suggesting:

Amitriptyline is an antidepressant drug that is also used to treat chronic pain. The dosages are quite a lot lower for pain management than they are for treating depression.

It does have some side effects to watch out for including:

increased heart rate
    blurred vision
    weight loss or gain
    dry mouth
    constipation

It can also cause you to feel sleepy so be careful when driving. And there are some withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it abruptly, but by lowering the dose slowly you can avoid these.

Well all that sounds pretty grim Amitriptyline is quite commonly prescribed for endo and can help to manage pain effectively.

Aygestin on the other hand falls under the drug category of progestins. It is commonly found in many oral contraceptives. When prescribing for endometriosis the dosage is much higher.

Talk to you doctor about your concerns with the meds.

I would also recommend that you have a read through the rest of the blog posts as there are a number of natural treatments and dietary changes that can help relieve symptoms.

8. Jennifer West
    November 6th, 2008 | 5:25 am

I had a partial hysterectomy. I was great for a year. Now I’m beginning to swell again and have terrible night sweats. Just wondered if that was normal.

9. Sharon Barnett
    June 24th, 2009 | 11:50 am

I feel devastated I had a full hysterectomy 10mnths ago and have been in slight pain for the last 4mnths. I went to my GP who suggested I see a bowel specialist as they thought I must have IBS, did not even occur to me that it may be Endo, as I did not know that it could come back. Had a colonoscopy and all was OK, went back to my Gyno to get a check on some scar tissue which had not healed properly from my hysterectomy and mentioned the pain of my side, bloatig again etc… That is when he said 1 in 20 get Endo reoccurence, I have ben thinking maybe something was wrong with my bladder etc.. i feel like a fruit loop, I am in so much pain, have shoulder tip pain back again and I am sure that now I know you can get a recurrence that this is what it is. Have a lap on the 6th Aug, guess I will find out then. 6th surgery in less than two years, here I go again!

10. Terri P
    August 7th, 2009 | 5:43 am

I had symptoms and cysts since age 16. At age 29 I had a total hysterectomy when my doctor promised the symptoms would go away. They never did. Here I am almost 39 and found out today that the Premarin I have been taking has been feeding the lesions and endometriosis left over after the surgery. No one said a word until I saw a new doc today. Did the Estrase, amitriptyline etc. with no luck. Amitriptyline cause me to gain 60 lbs and it is very hard to lose the weight once on. Trying a new drug Loestrin 24 FE that is suppose to shrink the lesions and control the pain. Will see. For now, I wish more physicians would be educated and let people know what they face post hysterectomy. I am glad not to have the monthly mess, but to me it was a waste of time and a lot of pain for nothing.

11. Norma
    October 12th, 2009 | 1:32 pm

I had my hysterectomy back in 1989, it is now 2009. Since my surgrey, I have not had a moments trouble out of the endometriosis, until 3 months ago. My right side starting hurting, like I still had my ovaries, with a cyst on it. I well remember all the pain I had 20 years ago. 1st I went to my ob-gyn, he found nothing. So I thought maybe it was something to do with my bowels. So I went to the gut dr. (as I call em) I had a colonostomy and upper G.I. done. nothing.Dr. told me that it could be the endometriosis back.
    I said no way they fixed that 20 years ago. All this time I was believing that I would never ever have a problem out of this. I can’t believe it! It sure does bring alot of painful (as in pain that darvacet would not even touch) back. So now the Dr. wants to put me on horome’s And I do not want to take them. They did not help 20 years ago. I scared that if I take them now they will not do the trick this time either and I will be out of wasted time again.

12. Kristi Bryan
    October 16th, 2009 | 8:03 pm

I had a full hysterectomy a year ago. I have been having severe leg and back pain. I was devestated a few days ago when I found out the endo is back. It is just unbelieveable that our only choice is to suffer. This is 2009 we should be more in the know on these things. If anyone can help in any way please let me know. Thanks

13. January 30th, 2010 | 1:26 am

Had hysterectgomy 31 years ago. Not because of endometrisosis (please excuse spelling) but to prevent
    same. So I was told. I do not have a diagnosed yet but all my symptoms seem to go with the endometriosis. I have complained of pelvic pain for some time, comes and goes. I take three Advil for the pain and sometimes that helps. I do have diverticulitis and when that comes back, so does the pelvic pain. Just from sitting down for a bif (such as the time used with this e-mail, I will hurt. The doctors just simply pay no attention to my complaints. I know I am in pain and am not looking for attention. Iam 67 years old so this is not part of my “getting on in years plans”. What kind of doctor would listen and check this out? Please advise as there is also spotting now and then. I am recovering from uri at this time. Could that cause pelvic pain?

14. ericka
    March 26th, 2010 | 12:53 pm

hi i am 30 yrs old i have endometriosis i had a hysterectomy.. still have overies i had surgery about year ago and now i have a 5 cm cyst on my overy my doc wants to put me on lupron and i dont want to because of side effects main side effect gaining weight which ive always been conceered with my weight my whole life please give me some answers

thanks ericka

15. Nicole
    October 24th, 2010 | 6:56 pm

I have had endo since I was 14. I had an ovarie and one of my tubes removed when I was 21. Then at age 28 I had to have a total hysto. Now 2 years later my symptoms are back as bad as I had it before. I as well didn’t know that the endo would come back after my surgery. I don’t take any hormone pills they didn’t agree with me. I just need some help now. Cause I don’t have any insurance now to go see another dr right now. So if anyone knows any good dr’s in Arkansas please let me know.

16. Ginny
    November 1st, 2010 | 10:49 pm

I am currently in a VA hospital with severe abdominal pain. This all started when I was in the military. I have tried over the years to have children, but God had different plans for me.

I am hoping to get out of the hospital soon, but I found out that endometriosis can grow….I think that is what has happened to me. Because of this, I might actually get my surgery to remove it and the adhesions that have continually bent over in pain.

I am a nurse and we definitely need to get this spread around.

ps: the first surgeons insisted that adhesions don’t cause pain……i was so angry that I cried.

17. Lora
    November 17th, 2010 | 8:43 am

I am 28 & last year I went to my Dr in extream pain. He put me in the hosp. did tons of test only to find I had alot of minor cyst. He did a partial hystorectomy & stated that I had alot of scar tissue probly from so many abdominal surgurys & that my uterus was tilted & said I should be fine. I followed up with my regular Dr & she said I had endometriosis. In feb. I went back to my gyno dr in pain agian just like b4 & he said it was prob my right overy & scar tissue agian & wanted to opperate. I declined at the time & he said to call when it got unbearable. Now a year later I stay in so much pain that I can hardly funtion for about 2 1/2 weeks at a time when I used to have my period. I called my OB & he’s wanting to complete the hystorectomy now in a couple weeks. After doing my own research I have every symptom & sign of endometriosis & am terrified that if I go on with the surgury that it’ll just come back. Does anyone have any recomendations? I’m desperate for some relief & don’t have a clue where to start! Thanks & God Bless